Iona Prep Physics
Introduction to Oscillations and Wave Motion
Introduction to Waves
||On the left you see a blue mass on a spring. You might say it is vibrating
left and right. A more technical way of referring to this motion would be
to say it is oscillating, or to say it is executing simple harmonic motion.
1. Read pages 453-455 in the textbook.
2. Do the following experiment individually, not in groups:
Record the code number which is below the meter stick.
Watch the periodic motion. Use the stopwatch to determine the period of the
3. Answer the following questions on a piece of paper (finish for homework).
This will be collected in class.
- What is the definition of period?
- What was the code number on your individual experiment?
- What was the period of the motion on your individual experiment?
- What is the frequency of the motion of your individual experiment?
- Assuming your measurement was not perfect, what might you do to improve the
accuracy of your period measurement?